The Basic/Beginner course is geared toward participants who have little or no LBM industry related experience. Basic blueprint reading skills covered will be include; developing an operational understanding of floor plans, elevations, sections and details, as well as the interpretation of construction drawings to develop building material takeoffs.
This Basic/Beginner course is a good foundational course that offers a methodology with templates and checklists to develop a comprehensive estimating procedure including processes that participants can bring back with them to their yard. In addition to building an estimating framework, this course offers hands-on practice of the techniques learned to do takeoffs for smaller projects. Decks, garages, and single story residences with simple roofs are the hands-on practice exercises used for this class. Prerequisites for this course are some basic building knowledge especially rough framing carpentry. Some basic proficiency in computational math using a calculator (+,-, X, / and square root.) as well as an understanding of dimensions and scaling for measurement.
Who should attend:
The Basic/Beginner course is for participants with little or no experience with drawings and takeoffs that want to learn the fundamentals of blueprint reading and estimating material takeoffs.
An Introduction to construction drawings and developing an estimate or takeoff
- Develop an operational understanding of drawings and their use
- Learn to read and interpret the drawings
- Explore how to use floor plans, elevations, sections and details to figure out a project’s material needs
- Consider the characteristics of good estimates including consistency and documentation
- Learn how to create an accurate estimate and the keys to success
- Develop efficient estimating skills and understand best practices
- Examine how to avoid the common pitfalls in estimating and quantity takeoffs
All attendees leave with:
A comprehensive workbook with course handouts that include templates, checklists, formulas, estimating forms, construction details, conversion factors, shortcut tables to determine sell lengths, sample house plans with a sample estimate, and an architectural scale.
March 14 & 15, 2016
Time: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Breakfast & Lunch included
Acadia Insurance Company
500 Enterprise Dr., Ste. 2A
Rocky Hill, CT 06067